Tuesday, December 18, 2007

I'm a Smart Dog

Mommy and Daddy took me to two obedience classes and my human-sister even came along a couple of times. I know lots of commands now! Here's the list:
  1. Guard (I growl, but my wagging tail gives me away as a nice puppy!)
  2. Drop it
  3. Get in (the car)
  4. Come
  5. Sit
  6. Down (I lay down.)
  7. Stand
  8. Stay (I can do this while I sit, stand, or lay down.)
  9. Speak (I try to bark quietly.)
  10. Shhh!/Hush!
  11. Shake
  12. Heel
  13. Wait
  14. Up
  15. Off (They use this when I put my paws on the counter or on a guest.)
  16. Touch
  17. Out(side) (Sometimes I go in my human-sister's room. She doesn't like that.)
  18. Inside
  19. Leave it
  20. Bow to the queen (Mommy thinks this one is pretty funny.)
  21. Daddy's home (I greet Daddy like he's the king!)
  22. Around (This is a version of "finish".)
  23. Halt
  24. Tunnel (There used to be a tunnel at the dog park in Maryland.)
  25. Crawl (My human-sister taught me this one because I used to get stuck under the coffee table.)
  26. Beg
  27. Go to bed/crate
  28. One paw, two paw (We are still working on this one. Mommy is trying to teach me "red paw, blue paw.")

We are also working on commands called "get it" - I think they want me to fetch the newspaper - and a command called "toys away" - for some reason these people don't want to pick up after me!

I learned most of my commands at the puppy kindergarten class at the Charles County Humane Society in Maryland. My teacher was Julie Jacobus. She's really nice and has very yummy treats in her pouch! She even came to my house once to help Mommy get me ready for our move to Utah.

Once we moved to Utah, Mommy took me to a training class with the Golden Spike Dog Obedience Club. I learned some more commands and had to practice my old commands too. Now I know so much and am getting to be a good dog even off-leash. Mommy wants me to practice even more to get something called a Canine Good Citizen certificate. Geez. This is hard work. It's more fun to have recess with the other dogs than it is to go to class.

Besides, I know so many commands and my humans only know a couple. When I ring the bell they let me out to go potty. When I shove my nose under Daddy's arm he pets me. When I bring my family a toy they play with me. Other than that, they don't understand what I'm trying to tell them most of the time. Mommy just has to guess if I'm hungry, thirsty, or if I want her to turn on the light in the bedroom. If you ask me, I'm the smart one in the house!

5 comments:

Opy - the Original GruffPuppy said...

hey isabella,

welcome to www.dogswithblogs.com.au - it is great to meet you, and I am sure you will make lots of new friends here :-)

Love
Opy

Amber-Mae said...

Hi there Isabella! So nice to meet ya! Ooo, you sure know lot of commands! I'm impressed... I know lots too especially tricks & all. I'm a Solid Gold Dancer! can guess what I am? If not, head over to my bloggy & then you'll know, kekeke! I go to school too & I'm already in Intermediate level. But actually, I'm not that good...I do Agility & Flyball too. I live & breath for Flyball!

Love licks,
Solid Gold Dancer

powder-puff said...

Hey isabella!

Nice to meet you, im powder-puff the WUG!

WOW you know all those commands!?!
I dont even know sit!!!

drop by my blog sometime i would LUV to hear from you!

peace out
puff!

Crikit, Sparky, Ginger! said...

Merry Christmas Isabella! Welcome to the DWB family. Wow yous are smart whats your DQ? sniff over sometime

waggin TX tails & barkingloud

Lorenza said...

Hi, Isabella
Nice to meet you!
Sure you are smart! You do lots of commands and tricks! I am a lost case!
Happy Holidays
Lorenza